Saturday 12 January 2013

A Pin With So Much Potential... Yet, a Pinterest Fail.

My first "real" blog entry will be about a Pin that I've been wanting to try for months. When I first saw the pin, I thought it was GENIUS. It rehashed my desire to own a waffle iron. I added "waffle iron" to my Christmas Wish List. I wanted one. Well, my Wish was granted in spades! My dad bought me a Cuisinart Breakfast Central Machine (deluxe belgian waffle maker and omelette maker all-in-one (and you can make them at THE SAME TIME)!! It will be the focus of many a blog post to come, I promise!! 

The "Pinspiration": 


Photo/Pinspiration Credit: Little Bit Funky

Cinnamon Buns are delicious; waffles are delicious... Ergo... cinnamon bun waffles must be delicious! Right?!  

Well, some good ideas, unfortunately have their weak points... In this case, it was the temperature of my waffle iron combined with all those sticky cinnamon topping pieces.... 



Do you see all those little brown delicious cinnamon pieces... well they're delicious when baked, but problematic in the waffle iron because of their high sugar content. When I closed the waffle iron the sizzle was loud! Then, after I flipped them, some of the melted cinnamon-sugar oozed out and spilled on to the surface under the iron. Then it started to smoke. Not a ton of smoke at first, but enough that I had to turn on the hood fan that was just a little to the left of this piece of countertop. When I opened the iron, I saw this:


Well, that was interesting... I've never seen a waffle stick to the top plate like that before. I had to use a flipper to pry it off of the top (and this was even necessary with non-stick plates that I had sprayed with cooking spray as a safety measure...).  The bottom (visible side in the above picture) was alright, the top though, was a little charred. Too much for my tastes. My 3rd and final attempt was a little better (the two-piece one shown below) - I think I got the timing a little better and opened it before it charred. The picture below is the finished, cream cheese icing drizzled product.



Not terrible, but not far from it either. I could probably get it if I were to try it again... I would turn the waffle iron setting to a little cooler, and not let it cook as long... but the clean-up of the sticky residue on the waffle plates... It's not likely I will try this again.  If you are brave and want to try this, too - check out the Pinspiration Link - she makes it look so easy (and Delicious!)

I deem this attempt - a Pinterest Fail. Yet, I will keep trying (and sharing) more!! Because when you get it right, it makes the fails all worthwhile. No risk, no reward right?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for trying! Do you HAVE to flip that waffle iron, or can it just stay in one direction? I am just wondering if that would stop most of the ooey gooey good stuff from dripping out and making such a mess. Messes when making such things really takes the fun out of it. ;) Can the waffle iron plates go in the dishwasher?

    I love this Sam. Great writing and interesting thoughts. I'll be a steady reader! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea why you need to flip the waffle iron until recently... If you do not flip it, the top plate will (likely) pop open as the food cooks (because it expands). If the plate pops open, it resets the internal timer, which can result in burned food if you are basing 'doneness' solely off of the timer beeping. This is especially true on the omelette side, when you're actually cooking omelettes, those eggs really do puff up.
    The dripped out bits weren't the hardest to clean, it was the plates themselves. This is the one downside to this machine. The plates are NOT removeable and therefore NOT dishwasher-able. I have now been FORBIDDEN to cook anything but waffles in this waffle iron due to how hard this experiment was to clean. The omelette side is still open to experiments though, since it is easy to wipe clean.
    Thank you for your loyal readership!

    ReplyDelete